How To Move OST file to another Computer?
Outlook stores data in computer in two types of files – PST & OST. PST is referred as Personal storage table which is commonly used for most of the web mail accounts.
Whereas OST files are used when you are using Exchange Account and it allows you to work offline when connection to exchange server is not possible or interrupted.
Since outlook items such as email messages, calendar, and rest other item are stored and delivered on the server when you are using Exchange Server Account, Outlook uses .ost file
to keep local copy of all items on your system. So, .ost is a file extension to save all the Outlook Data when you are connected to Server or using Exchange Account
There may come a situation where you would like to access orphan OST file and move it to another computer. But you cannot directly transfer or move OST file to other system or computer.
Instead you can transfer all your data information stored in Outlook such as email messages, address book, calendar to new system by creating a new OST file which stores transferred
Follow the given below steps to move your OST file into another computer.
- Open MS Outlook in the computer from where you want to transfer the .ost file.
- Now create a new PST file to transfer all the data in it. To create Click on File tab » Click New » Select Outlook Data File. From the screen that appears click on Save as type select any of the type with .pst extension and then click OK
- In the Create Microsoft Personal Folder that appears type a name for PST file. Do not forget to note the location on the hard drive where PST file is set to save. Click OK
- In the Left side you will see an Outlook Navigation Pane, from there right click on any of the folder such as inbox, and select copy inbox. A "Copy folder" screen appears, select inbox folder you just copied.
On clicking OK it will be get added to the newly craeted pst file. Repeat the process for all the folders
- Now move the PST file to the external hard drive or pen drive to transfer it to another computer. Connect the external drive and then copy the PST file from its location (where it is saved on hard drive) into the drive.
- Disconnect the drive from the source computer and connect it to the another computer where you want to move OST file. Now copy the PST file or drag and drop to the computer’s dekstop.
- Start MS Outlook in new computer. If you already have Outlook profile then you cannot set up OST file for it. Therefore delete the profile and then create a new outlook profile again.
- Now, On Set up screen click on Email Accounts » Click Add a new email account » Click Next » Choose the type of server you are using » Click Next
- Type the name of server and the email account » Click Next » Click on Advance tab
- Click on Offline Folder file Settings option » Click browse to save the file at your own choosen location » click OK. PST file with the email account will be craeted. Again Click ok to return to main screen
- Click on File tab » Select Import & Export » Choose Import from another program or file » Choose Personal Folder File and Click Next.
- Now select the PST file from the location where you have copied the file from external drive and then click Next.
All the data information will be moved from the PST file to the new copy of Outlook data file.